Reflecting the complexity and diversity of the industries, technologies, and clients comprising the energy sector, Eimer Stahl’s Energy practice provides counsel to a variety of clients within the rapidly evolving electric, natural gas and telecommunications sectors.
Drawing from the synergies between its legislative and regulatory counseling expertise and litigation experience before public utilities commissions and courts, Eimer Stahl is uniquely positioned to offer clients a holistic approach for addressing the sorts of sophisticated and complex issues facing regulated industries. Beginning with the development and introduction of new concepts and legislation, Eimer Stahl works with clients to analyze and shape emerging policy and regulations. Following their enactment, Eimer Stahl continues to support clients during any subsequent implementation and litigation needs that may arise in compliance with new and existing laws and regulations.
And, while the issues may be complicated, Eimer Stahl has built its reputation on distilling complex issues down into concise, understandable concepts for a variety of audiences, including legislators, public utilities commissions, judges, juries, and industry stakeholders. Recent examples include:
- Traditional and Performance-Based Formula Ratemaking and Rate Cases
- Advanced Metering Infrastructure/Smart Grid Implementation Litigation
- Energy Efficiency Portfolio Implementation and Litigation
- Energy Procurement, including Renewable Energy, Clean Energy, Clean Coal
- Utility Restructuring and Competitive Market Development, including Municipal Aggregation and Purchase of Receivables Programs
Energy Practice Areas
- Commonwealth Edison Company
- Exelon Corporation
- Nicor Gas Company
- Vanguard Energy Services
Eimer Stahl’s Energy practice has been regularly recognized by Chambers USA, U.S. News & World Report, and Leading Lawyers.
CHAMBERS & PARTNERS
- Top-ranked by Chambers USA since 2003, the firm’s Energy practice and practitioners have received consistent praise.
- Name partner David Stahl is widely admired by his peers, and described as "an outstanding litigator" (2015) and “a brilliant regulatory lawyer . . . absolutely terrific” (2014). His practice is broad and includes advising utility companies on a variety of matters, including nuclear licensing and antitrust
- Eimer Stahl is "Highly regarded by the market for its litigation offering. Praised by clients for its regulatory focus." "They are fabulous, as responsive as you can be - you get what you want, when you want it." (2014)
- "This team continues to attract the respect of market commentators for its strength in representing a range of market participants in the energy sector on litigation, regulatory and restructuring matters." (2013)
- ". . . the firm has gained ‘high opinions’ for its agile, more collegial approach to legal counseling." (Chambers 2014)
- "The team has established an impressive place in Illinois’ electric market." (Chambers 2012)
U.S. NEWS AND WORLD REPORT - BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA
- In its 2015 Edition, U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" gives high marks to Eimer Stahl’s Energy Law group. In 2013, it named firm co-founder David Stahl Chicago’s Energy Law Lawyer of the Year.
- David Stahl was also named an Illinois Leading Lawyer in both Energy and Public Utilities by Leading Lawyers in 2014.