J.D., DePaul University College of Law, 1997
- with honors
- Order of the Coif
- Editor, DePaul Law Review
B.A., Valparaiso University, 1994
- magna cum laude
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
Vanessa G. Jacobsen is a partner at Eimer Stahl LLP and co-chairs the firm’s Antitrust Group. She has experience in a wide variety of commercial litigation and arbitration matters, with a particular focus on antitrust litigation, class action defense and business disputes. Vanessa has substantial experience prosecuting and defending breach of contract, fraud, unfair competition and business tort cases, often involving product supply and licensing agreements.
Vanessa has been recognized by several prominent publications for her antitrust work, including Chambers USA, Leading Lawyers, and Best Lawyers. She also recently was named one of Chicago’s Notable Women Lawyers by Crain’s Chicago Business. Vanessa has served as a member of Competition Law360’s Editorial Advisory Board and was appointed to serve on the Antitrust Subcommittee of the National Council of Farmer Cooperatives. She also is a member of the Antitrust and Litigation sections and the Business Torts Litigation and Class Action committees of the American Bar Association. Vanessa regularly speaks on the topics of antitrust law, contracts, and data and e-discovery issues.
- In re: Interior Molded Doors Antitrust Litigation, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, Nos. 3:18-cv-00718 and 00850: Direct and indirect purchaser class action antitrust lawsuits against manufacturers of interior molded doors.
- Jones v. Micron Technology, Inc., et al., U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, 4:18-cv-02518 (and related cases): Direct and indirect purchaser class action antitrust lawsuits against manufacturers of dynamic random access memory (DRAM).
- Frost v. LG Corporation, et al., U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, 5:16-cv-05206: Class action antitrust lawsuit involving anti-poaching agreement allegations.
- In re Lithium Ion Batteries Antitrust Litigation, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, MDL 2420: Direct and indirect class and direct action antitrust lawsuits against manufacturers of lithium ion battery cells and related products.
- In re Optical Disk Drive Products Antitrust Litigation, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, MDL 2143: Direct and indirect class and direct action antitrust lawsuits against manufacturers of optical disk drives and related products.
- In re Processed Egg Products Antitrust Litigation, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, MDL 2002: Direct and indirect class and direct action antitrust and unfair competition lawsuits relating to the egg industry.
- Kleen Products LLC, et al. v. International Paper Company, et al., U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Case No. 1:10-cv-05711: Class action lawsuit against containerboard manufacturers.
- In re Motor Fuel Temperature Sales Practices Litigation, U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas, MDL 1840: Consumer fraud class actions related to the retail sale of motor fuel.
- Antitrust - Illinois
- “Vanessa Jacobsen frequently acts in a range of complex antitrust lawsuits, often with an international dimension. She represents technology companies, food producers and manufacturers against claims of conspiracy, monopolization and price-fixing. Sources say: ‘She is very keen on detail and has a knack for managing complicated matters.’”
- Litigation - Antitrust
- Antitrust Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Chicago's Notable Women Lawyers 2018
What Clients Say
- "Ms. Jacobsen is able to reduce complex issues to their essentials. She has exceptional abilities to draft lucid and persuasive pleadings and remains very calm under pressure. She is unfailingly courteous and a pleasure to deal with. She is a valuable resource for in-house corporate counsel."
- "Vanessa is a fantastic litigator and a tremendous writer. She took the lead for us in "bet-the-company" litigation and delivered the results that we desperately needed."
Litigation Counsel of America
- Fellow, Trial Lawyer Honorary Society (highly-selective, invitation-only honorary society composed of less than one half of one percent of American lawyers)
- AV® Preeminent™
- Best Lawyers Recognizes Vanessa Jacobsen in Litigaton - Antitrust CategoryAugust 20, 2018
- July 31, 2018
- Vanessa Jacobsen quoted in Law360 article, “Walgreens Gets Creative to Overhaul Troubled Rite Aid Bid”June 29, 2017
- Leading Lawyers, 2014 & 2015
- Law360, March 10, 2015
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Lawyers, 2014
- Illinois Supreme Court Press Release, June 8, 2011
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Preparing Witnesses for DepositionOctober 4, 2018
- Effective Legal Writing and Recent Supreme Court DecisionsOctober 4, 2018
- U.S. Data Preservation IssuesApril 17, 2018
- Navigating Commercial Terms under US LawSeptember 26, 2017
- Information Sharing and Private Antitrust Class ActionsSeptember 21-22, 2017
- December 15, 2016
- Antitrust Red Flags, Tyson Foods v. Bouaphakeo, and Enforcing Arbitration ClausesMay 11, 2016
- Developing Relationships Inside Your Firm or OrganizationFebruary 3, 2016
- Antitrust UpdateJanuary 27, 2016
- Identifying and Mitigating Antitrust "Red Flags" in Business TransactionsDecember 1, 2015
- Supreme Court UpdateSeptember 25, 2015
- Class Action Supreme Court UpdateJuly 10, 2013
- Recent Developments in DiscoveryJuly 10, 2013
- Commercial Issues Roundtable: Commercial Contract ProvisionsJanuary 13, 2011
- Electronic Discovery Update: Preservation and ProcessJanuary 27, 2010
- Antitrust Update: The New Administration and Recent Developments in the LawDecember 15, 2009
- Electronically Stored Information: Discovery Under the Federal RulesJanuary 10, 2008
- Commercial/Contract Litigation
- Complex Litigation
- Consumer Fraud
- Counseling and Compliance
- Criminal Actions and Government Investigations
- Criminal Actions and Government Investigations / Antitrust
- Individual and Class Civil Litigation
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Securities and Banking Litigation