Legislative and Regulatory Counseling
Clients routinely engage Eimer Stahl for its expertise in analyzing and drafting complex legislative proposals, as well as for its sharp analysis and creative solutions to novel issues impacting energy and telecommunications clients.
More recently, Eimer Stahl served as legislative counsel regarding the passage of the historic and transformative Illinois Energy Infrastructure Modernization Act ("EIMA"), which created a new and innovative regulatory framework defined by three key areas: (1) more than $3.2 billion in combined infrastructure investment by Illinois utilities; (2) establishment of "formula rate" ratemaking to ensure more timely and transparent cost recovery of this investment; and (3) imposition of annual performance metrics goals on utilities in a variety of areas. Following EIMA’s passage, Eimer Stahl continues to counsel clients regarding its interpretation and implementation.
In addition, Eimer Stahl has provided Legislative and Regulatory Counseling regarding the following issues:
- Traditional, Formula and Alternative Ratemaking Mechanisms and Rate Design
- Advanced Metering Infrastructure and Smart Grid Implementation and Deployment
- Energy Efficiency Portfolios and Related On Bill Financing Programs
- Renewable Portfolio and Clean Energy Standards
- Clean Coal and Carbon Sequestration
- Competitive Procurement Processes
- Deregulation – Utility Restructuring and Competitive Market Development
- Municipal Aggregation
- Purchase of Receivables and Consolidated Billing Programs
- Uncollectible Costs and Cost Recovery
- Regulatory Reform
- Low-Income Programs