Benjamin E. Waldin is a Partner at Eimer Stahl LLP. Ben’s practice focuses on complex litigation, including a wide variety of antitrust and healthcare matters. As a part of his practice, Ben spends significant time working on the legal and strategic matters involved in the admission and presentation of expert testimony.
Prior to attending law school, Ben was a senior consultant at the economic consulting firm Bates White in Washington, DC. As a consultant he supported experts providing testimony in numerous cases spanning monopolization, cartel investigation, merger review, and class action litigation
- Humana, Inc. v. Mallinckrodt ARD LLC – Representing Humana in action to recover overcharges in case alleging scheme to inflate price of pharmaceutical through anti-competitive conduct and fraud.
- In re Interior Molded Doors Antitrust Litigation – Defending Masonite Corp. in actions alleging price-fixing in the market for interior molded doors.
- In re: Rail Freight Fuel Surcharge Antitrust Litigation– Representing major purchasers of rail freight shipping services in antitrust litigation against railroads to recover overpayments due to price-fixing conspiracy.
- Federal Trade Commission v. Qualcomm Inc. – Representing and counseling LG Electronics regarding its role as a central third party to claims that Qualcomm monopolized certain mobile chipset markets.—
- First Impressions v. National Milk Producers Federation- Defending Land O’Lakes in federal antitrust class actions alleging that dairy farmers and cooperatives engaged in a conspiracy to limit the supply of milk.
- Smith v. Continental Casualty Corp. – Defending CNA against a putative consumer class action alleging breach of long-term care insurance- -contracts.
- Humana, Inc. v. Abbott Laboratories – representing Humana in action to recover payments made for the replacement of defective cardiac devices in its insureds.
- Healthcare Insurance Cost-Recovery– Counseling and representing major providers of health insurance on potential actions to recover unnecessary or excessive expenditures on drugs and medical devices.
- Criminal Antitrust Investigation– Resolved without charges a criminal antitrust investigation by Department of Justice into former auto industry sales executive.
- Merger review- Assisted industrial goods company in responding to a second request for information from the Federal Trade Commission concerning its potential acquisition of a competitor.
- Sansone v. Donahoe–tried employment discrimination case to a jury verdict for maximum damages allowed under statute as pro-bono counsel for plaintiff in conjunction with Chicago Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights.
Honors & Recognitions
Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch 2021
- January 6, 2020
- Ben Waldin quoted in StarTribune article, "UnitedHealth Pushes Back in Whistleblower Case"04.2018
- Ben Waldin quoted in Modern Healthcare article, "Sutter Lawsuit Could Spur Scrutiny on Consolidated Healthcare Markets"04.2018
- Ben Waldin quoted in Modern Healthcare article, "Justice Department Faces Uphill Battle In Medicare Advantage False Billing Cases"03.01.2018
- Ben Waldin and Jacob Hamann quoted in Bloomberg BNA’s Daily Labor Report article, “Postal Worker Wins $1.1 Million in Disability Case"10.16.2017
- U.S. Data Preservation Issues04.17.2018
- Product Liability, Consumer Fraud, and Product LabelingIllinois, 09.2017
J.D., Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law
- cum laude
M.B.A., Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University
- with honors
- Beta Gamma Sigma
B.B.A., George Washington University
- magna cum laude
- Illinois Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois