Eimer Stahl's attorneys have decades of experience in litigating high-stakes civil and criminal antitrust matters, guiding clients through government investigations and transaction pre-clearance review, and offering creative solutions to the most complex antitrust issues. Our antitrust practice is global in scope, and we have successfully defended leading national and international corporations in significant private class action litigation in a wide range of industries, including the energy, electronics, technology, agriculture, insurance, and manufacturing sectors. We also have defended corporate and individual clients in numerous grand jury antitrust investigations and before state and federal enforcement agencies. Eimer Stahl combines this unparalleled experience with a uniquely innovative and strategic approach to antitrust litigation, consistently striving to deliver the best results to our clients in their most challenging endeavors.
Pro Music Rights, LLC v. Apple Inc., et al., U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut: Defended Apple Inc. in an antitrust and unfair trade practices lawsuit related to performance rights of musical works.
In re Dynamic Random Access Memory (DRAM) Antitrust Litigation, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California: Represented Korean semiconductor supplier SK hynix Inc. and its American subsidiary against state and federal antitrust claims alleged by putative classes of direct and indirect purchasers of DRAM, a type of semiconductor memory.
In re Crop Inputs Antitrust Litigation, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois and District of Minnesota: Defending Winfield Solutions and Federated Co-operatives Limited in antitrust complaints brought on behalf of putative classes of purchasers of seeds and crop-protection chemicals such as fungicides, herbicides, and insecticides used by farmers.
In re Rail Freight Fuel Surcharge Antitrust Litigation, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia: Representing four of the largest rail shippers in the United States—The Dow Chemical Company, GenOn, Gerdau Ameristeel, and International Paper—in antitrust litigation to recover overpayments due to a price-fixing conspiracy.
Humana, Inc. v. Mallinckrodt ARD LLC, U.S. District Court for the Central District of California: Representing Humana in action to recover overcharges in a case alleging price inflation of a pharmaceutical through anti-competitive conduct and fraud.
In re Interior Molded Doors Antitrust Litigation, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia: Served as lead trial counsel for Masonite Corporation in multiple antitrust class action lawsuits against manufacturers of interior molded doors.
In re Auto Body Shop Antitrust Litigation, U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida: Representing major auto insurance company in antitrust actions alleging the insurers conspired to suppress the rates paid for repairs in the multi-billion-dollar collision repair industry and boycott shops with which they have no relationships.
In re Lithium Ion Batteries Antitrust Litigation, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California: Representing LG Chem in direct and indirect class and direct action antitrust lawsuits against manufacturers of lithium ion battery cells and related products.
In re Optical Disk Drive Products Antitrust Litigation, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California: Defending LG Electronics Inc. in direct purchaser and indirect purchaser class action antitrust complaints alleging price-fixing of optical disk drives brought by numerous businesses and consumers in both class and individual actions.
Frost, et. al. v. LG Corporation, et. al., Northern District of California: Represented LG Electronics, Inc. and its US subsidiary in a federal antitrust class action involving anti-poaching agreement allegations.
In re Dairy Farmers of America, Inc. Cheese Antitrust Litigation, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois: Represented the world’s largest customer brand dairy product company in a multidistrict class action alleging an antitrust and commodity manipulation conspiracy.
In re Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) Antitrust Litigation, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois: Representing several LG Electronics entities in current and threatened Cathode antitrust litigation concerning alleged price-fixing of cathode ray tubes.
Routinely represent corporate and individual clients in criminal and civil investigations and proceedings initiated by the Department of Justice, Federal Trade Commission, Securities and Exchange Commission, and state attorneys general.
Extensive experience conducting antitrust compliance audits and developing antitrust compliance programs, including forensic audits, risk assessments, policy drafting, and employee training, across a variety of industries.
Eimer Stahl is consistently recognized as a national leader in Antitrust Law.
Chambers & Partners
- Since 2003, Eimer Stahl's Antitrust practice, which is currently ranked Band 1 for Illinois: Antitrust, has earned kudos from Chambers USA, which has commended it for its "outstanding antitrust partners" (2014), the "high caliber of its trial attorneys" (2012), and its "widely respected antitrust practice" (2008).
- Eimer Stahl is a "highly-regarded boutique firm specializing in antitrust law and excelling at litigation…and often noted for its creative solutions" (2022) and is continually regarded as "a tremendously trusted and valued legal partner" (2020).
- Chambers has also noted that "the antitrust group is known for its emphasis on litigation, and is also active in M&A and merger matters; peers say its compact size does not hold it back" (2009). "Clients regularly turn to it for high-stakes class action antitrust litigation" (2009) and appreciate the firm's “very sophisticated expertise in both traditional and emerging antitrust issues” (2022).
- The firm ”is very sophisticated, knowledgeable and talented” (2015), is "routinely sought to handle complex and high-value antitrust disputes" (2013), and musters "an impressive team with a talented group of experienced antitrust practitioners at the helm, who really know how to get the job done" (2011).
- Clients praise the firm's "intellectual horsepower." "They are very smart people and very experienced in antitrust" (2018).
- Widely acknowledged to be one of the best antitrust lawyers in the nation, founding partner Nate Eimer is one of two antitrust lawyers in Illinois and one of three antitrust lawyers in the country to receive a "Star" rating from Chambers USA every year since 2018. Star individuals are "among the crème de la crème – the standard by which others are judged. . . Their reputation is cultivated through a long history of excellence," says Chambers. "Additionally, they have managed to change the legal landscape in dramatic ways" (2014).
- "A very strong antitrust boutique firm" (2012), with attorneys who are ranked Band 3 and Band 4, such as Michael McCluggage, Barack Echols, and Vanessa Jacobsen.
THE Legal 500 United States
- Eimer Stahl is proud to be included in The Legal 500 United States Civil Litigation/Class Action: Defense category, with one client stating, “The Eimer Stahl team has unparalleled expertise in antitrust matters, coupled with outstanding litigation skills. They are a go-to for ‘bet-the-company’ litigation” (2022).
- Industry peers have stated, "they [Eimer Stahl] approach and tackle issues strategically and are able to provide very practical legal advice" (2021).
- Clients have praised our attorneys, noting "Nate Eimer and Vanessa Jacobsen are both very passionate about their work and provide undivided attention to clients’ concerns and thoughts at all times. Both are the strategic brain within the firm orchestrating their members to top-notch levels" (2021). "The combined experience of the team is unmatched" (2022).
U.S. News & World Report - Best Lawyers
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" ranks the firm’s Antitrust Law and Antitrust Litigation practices among the best in Chicago – and in the nation.
- Listed for Antitrust Law and Antitrust Litigation, Nate Eimer received praise for his "knowledgeable and responsive” and "coolheaded and practical" approach. Recognized by Best Lawyers every year since 2006, Nate was named a "Lawyer of the Year" for 2020, 2018, 2014, 2013, and 2011.
- Co-founder David Stahl, who was also listed in the Best Lawyers 2015 edition for Antitrust Law, is described by a client as a "gifted communicator" with "tremendous integrity and terrific presence in the courtroom."
- Nate Eimer was named the #1 Antitrust Lawyer in Chicago in 2014 by Leading Lawyers and was recognized among the top 10 antitrust lawyers in Illinois from 2014-2019. Eimer Stahl antitrust practitioners Brent Austin, Nate Eimer, Vanessa Jacobsen, and Mike McCluggage are consistently recognized as Illinois Leading Lawyers. Dan Birk was also featured as an Illinois Emerging Lawyer in 2017.
- November 3, 2022
- Best Lawyers Recognizes Eimer Stahl Attorneys in 2023 The Best Lawyers in America® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America™August 18, 2022
- June 15, 2022
- Eimer Stahl—Recognized by Chambers for Two Decades—Earns High Rankings for Antitrust, Commercial Litigation, Energy PracticesJune 3, 2022
- April 2022
- November 4, 2021
- August 23, 2021
- June 15, 2021
- Eimer Stahl Highly Ranked by Chambers USA 2021 for Antitrust, Commercial Litigation and Energy PracticesMay 26, 2021
CITGO Petroleum Corporation
CNA Financial Corporation
The Dow Chemical Company
Gerdau Ameristeel Corporation
International Paper Company
Land O’Lakes, Inc.
LG Chem Ltd.
LG Display Co., Ltd.
LG Electronics, Inc.
LG Energy Solution, Ltd.
Schreiber Foods, Inc.
SK hynix, Inc.
State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company