Ryan is a partner at Eimer Stahl LLP and is based in the firm’s Madison office. He focuses his practice on appellate and complex litigation in a wide variety of areas, including antitrust, constitutional law, corporate law, environmental, ERISA, products liability, and white collar. As part of his practice, Ryan devotes significant time to matters of legal strategy and the art of written and oral advocacy.
Ryan previously served as Chief Deputy Solicitor General of Wisconsin, securing numerous wins in the Supreme Court of the United States, in three federal courts of appeal, and in the state supreme court. Ryan built national, bipartisan coalitions of attorneys general and agencies in support of several lawsuits and briefing efforts, including a Wisconsin-led, 12-state coalition whose suit against the Federal Communications Commission prompted that agency to reverse a major new rule. When he left government, Ryan had a perfect win record in all of his cases to have reached final judgment.
Earlier in his career, Ryan worked in Washington D.C. as an associate in the appellate group of one of the world’s largest law firms.
Ryan also served as a law clerk on the U.S. Supreme Court for the Honorable Antonin Scalia and on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit for the Honorable Diarmuid F. O’Scannlain.
Ryan was named to Forbes’ “30 Under 30: Law and Policy” list in 2017. His briefing has won awards from the National Association of Attorneys General and the International Municipal Lawyers Association. He has also won three “best brief” accolades from the State Bar of Wisconsin, including two in 2020.
- Day v. Humana, Inc. (N.D. Ill.) – Representing Humana in putative class action alleging breach of fiduciary duties and wrongful denial of benefits under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974.
- In re Interior Molded Doors Antitrust Litigation (E.D. Va.) – Defending Masonite Corporation in actions alleging price-fixing in the market for interior molded doors.
- Federal Trade Commission v. Qualcomm Inc. (N.D. Cal.) – Counseled LG Electronics regarding its role as a central third party to claims that Qualcomm monopolized certain mobile chipset markets.
- National Climate-Change Litigation (1st Cir., 4th Cir., 9th Cir.) – Defending CITGO Petroleum Corporation in cases filed across the United States alleging that a number of fossil fuel companies are responsible for various injuries caused by climate change.
- Crystallex v. Petróleos de Venezuela, S.A. (D. Del.) – Representing intervenor CITGO Petroleum Corporation in Foreign Sovereign Immunity Act case in which plaintiff seeks to recover over $1.4 billion.
- City of Green Bay v. Bostelmann (E.D. Wis.) – Served as chief counsel for intervenor Wisconsin State Legislature in a lawsuit seeking to delay a statewide election; succeeded in persuading court to dismiss for lack of subject-matter jurisdiction.
- Wisconsin Legislature v. Palm (Wis. Sup. Ct.) – Served as chief counsel for Wisconsin Legislature in successful original action seeking invalidation of an agency lockdown order on the ground that it was issued improperly under the state Administrative Procedure Act.
- Wisconsin Legislature v. Evers (Wis. Sup. Ct.) – Served as chief counsel for Wisconsin Legislature in successful original action seeking invalidation of an executive order purporting to cancel a statutorily required statewide election.
- Counseling highly ranked private college on federal and state law concerning religious institutions.
- Counseling corporate executive in an action for judicial dissolution based on shareholder oppression.
- Counseling international manufacturer on briefing strategy in products-liability cases filed throughout the United States.
- Represented numerous amici in state and federal appellate courts (including the Supreme Court) on myriad legal topics, including intellectual property, federal criminal law, constitutional law, and Section 1983.
Honors & Recognitions
- Forbes 30 Under 30: Law and Policy (2017)
- Best Brief, State Bar of Wisconsin (2018) (International Union of Operating Engineers v. Schimel)
- Best Brief, National Association of Attorneys General (2018) (Gill v. Whitford)
- Amicus Service Award, International Municipal Lawyers Association (2020) (for pro bono brief in Seventh Circuit)
- Best Brief, State Bar of Wisconsin (2020) (Porter v. Wisconsin)
- Best Brief, State Bar of Wisconsin (2020) (Minerva Dairy v. Harsdorf)
- EimerStahl Insights, June 2, 2020
What Clients Say
What Clients Say
- “Ryan is an exceptionally dedicated, creative, and insightful attorney. Throughout complicated litigation and under tight timelines, he never missed a detail and answered all of our questions with remarkable patience and understanding. His service is second to none.”
- “Ryan not only provided outstanding legal advice but also was engaged and listened to my concerns. His professionalism, knowledge, and support were invaluable. I have recommended—and will continue to recommend—Ryan.”
- J.D., University of Chicago Law School
- with high honors
- Order of the Coif
- Kirkland & Ellis Scholar
- Editor-in-Chief, University of Chicago Law Review
- Hillsdale College
- summa cum laude
- Senior Class President
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Antonin Scalia, Supreme Court of the United States
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Diarmuid F. O’Scannlain, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court