Robert Dunn is the Managing Partner of Eimer Stahl’s San Jose office. He focuses his practice on appellate and complex litigation in a variety of areas, with a focus on class actions, constitutional law, administrative law, environmental law, and insurance-related disputes. He has represented clients in a variety of industries in high-stakes commercial disputes before the Supreme Court of the United States, various state and appellate courts, and various federal district courts. He has also helped coordinate large joint defense groups in several complex multi-district litigations. Rob regularly drafts amicus briefs in California courts on behalf of the Chamber of Commerce of the United States and serves on the Chamber’s Advisory Committee for Energy & Environmental Litigation.
Before joining Eimer Stahl, Rob was a senior litigation associate at one of the nation’s top law firms. Earlier in his career, Rob served as a law clerk on the U.S. Supreme Court for the Honorable Clarence Thomas, and on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit for the Honorable Diarmuid F. O’Scannlain.
Rob also maintains a thriving pro bono practice focused largely on defending religious liberty. He has represented both individuals and various religious institutions in state and federal courts across the country. Rob has also defended several individuals in removal proceedings before the Board of Immigration Appeals and the Ninth Circuit.
- National Climate-Change Litigation(1st, 4th, 9th Cir.) – Defending CITGO Petroleum Corporation in cases filed across the United States alleging that fossil fuel companies are responsible for various injuries caused by climate change.
- Tandon v. Newsom (U.S. Supreme Court; Ninth Circuit; Northern District of California) – Obtained groundbreaking injunction from the Supreme Court upholding individuals’ First Amendment right to free exercise of religion and requiring California to allow religious gatherings to the same extent as secular, commercial gatherings.
- COVID-19-Related Business Interruption Litigation (Illinois state and federal courts) – Secured dismissal of numerous class action lawsuits filed against CNA and its affiliates alleging that insurers breached their insurance policies by failing to pay for lost business income incurred due to COVID-19 induced closure orders.
- Mozilla Corp. v. FCC and United States(D.C. Cir.) – Represented internet provider to defend validity of the FCC’s Restoring Internet Freedom Order from a challenge brought by various states, trade associations, and public interest groups.
- Riverbed Tech., Inc. v. Scottish Equity Partners(Cal. Court of Appeal; Cal Superior Court) – Represented technology company in breach of contract dispute arising from an acquisition of a foreign subsidiary.
- Carpenter v. Murphy(U.S. S. Ct.) – Drafted amicus brief in support of Oklahoma Independent Petroleum Association seeking reversal of Tenth Circuit’s decision in a case involving question of federal jurisdiction over territory alleged to be part of an Indian reservation.
- Palantir USG, Inc. v. United States(Fed. Cir.) – Represented technology company on appeal in a contracting dispute arising out of the U.S. Army’s attempted acquisition of cutting-edge data management platform.
- In re Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. Shareholder Deriv. Litig.(8th Cir.; W.D. Ark.) – Represent retailer in derivative action based on alleged malfeasance at the retailer’s Mexican subsidiary.
- United States v. Apple, Inc.(2d Cir.) – Defended technology company in an antitrust action brought by the United States involving an alleged conspiracy with book publishers.
Honors & Recognitions
Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, 2023, 2024
- August 17, 2023
- The Legal 500 Spotlights Eimer Stahl’s Antitrust and Complex Commercial Litigation Practices in 2023 RankingsJune 7, 2023
- Best Lawyers Recognizes Eimer Stahl Attorneys in 2023 The Best Lawyers in America® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America™August 18, 2022
- January 6, 2022
- Eimer Stahl Attorneys File Amici Brief on Behalf of Mothers Against Drunk Driving and the California State Sheriffs’ Association to Help Combat Drunk and Drugged Driving in CaliforniaOctober 8, 2020
- Navigating the Administrative SystemOctober 19, 2021
- Big Tech & Beyond: Antitrust in the Biden EraJune 10, 2021
J.D., University of Chicago School of Law, 2010, high honors
- Order of the Coif; Kirkland & Ellis Scholar; Comments Editor, University of Chicago Law Review; Vice President, The Federalist Society; President, Christian Legal Society
B.A., Claremont McKenna College, 2000, summa cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa; Omicron Delta Epsilon
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Clarence Thomas, Supreme Court of the United States
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Diarmuid F. O’Scannlain, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California