Vanessa G. Jacobsen is a partner at Eimer Stahl LLP and co-chairs the firm’s Antitrust Group. She has experience in a wide variety of commercial litigation and arbitration matters, with a particular focus on antitrust litigation, class action defense and business disputes. Vanessa has substantial experience prosecuting and defending breach of contract, fraud, unfair competition and business tort cases, often involving product supply and licensing agreements.
Vanessa has been recognized by several prominent publications for antitrust litigation, including Chambers USA, Leading Lawyers, Best Lawyers, and Super Lawyers. She also recently was named one of Chicago’s Notable Women Lawyers by Crain’s Chicago Business. Vanessa is a member of Competition Law360’s Editorial Advisory Board and was appointed to serve on the Antitrust Subcommittee of the National Council of Farmer Cooperatives. She also is a member of the Antitrust and Litigation sections and the Business Torts Litigation and Class Action committees of the American Bar Association. Vanessa regularly speaks on the topics of antitrust law, contracts, and data and e-discovery issues.
Pro Music Rights, LLC v. Apple Inc., et al., U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut, No. 3:20-cv-00309: Antitrust and unfair trade practices lawsuit related to performance rights of musical works.
- In re: Interior Molded Doors Antitrust Litigation, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, Nos. 3:18-cv-00718 and 00850: Direct and indirect purchaser class action antitrust lawsuits against manufacturers of interior molded doors.
- Jones v. Micron Technology, Inc., et al., U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, 4:18-cv-02518 (and related cases): Direct and indirect purchaser class action antitrust lawsuits against manufacturers of dynamic random access memory (DRAM).
- Frost v. LG Corporation, et al., U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, 5:16-cv-05206: Class action antitrust lawsuit involving anti-poaching agreement allegations.
- In re Lithium Ion Batteries Antitrust Litigation, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, MDL 2420: Direct and indirect class and direct action antitrust lawsuits against manufacturers of lithium ion battery cells and related products.
- In re Optical Disk Drive Products Antitrust Litigation, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, MDL 2143: Direct and indirect class and direct action antitrust lawsuits against manufacturers of optical disk drives and related products.
- In re Processed Egg Products Antitrust Litigation, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, MDL 2002: Direct and indirect class and direct action antitrust and unfair competition lawsuits relating to the egg industry.
- Kleen Products LLC, et al. v. International Paper Company, et al., U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Case No. 1:10-cv-05711: Class action lawsuit against containerboard manufacturers.
Honors & Recognitions
- Antitrust - Illinois
- “Vanessa Jacobsen frequently acts in a range of complex antitrust lawsuits, often with an international dimension. She represents technology companies, food producers and manufacturers against claims of conspiracy, monopolization and price-fixing. Sources say: ‘She is very keen on detail and has a knack for managing complicated matters.’”
- Litigation - Antitrust
- Antitrust Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Antitrust Litigation
- Chicago's Notable Women Lawyers 2018
- AV® Preeminent™
- March 17, 2021
- Best Lawyers Recognizes Vanessa Jacobsen in Litigaton - Antitrust Category08.20.2018
- July 31, 2018
- Vanessa Jacobsen quoted in Law360 article, “Walgreens Gets Creative to Overhaul Troubled Rite Aid Bid”06.29.2017
- Leading Lawyers, 2014 & 2015
- Law360, March 10, 2015
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Lawyers, 2014
- Illinois Supreme Court Press Release, June 8, 2011
- Preparing Witnesses for DepositionSeoul, South Korea, 10.04.2018
- Effective Legal Writing and Recent Supreme Court DecisionsSeoul, South Korea, 10.04.2018
- U.S. Data Preservation Issues04.17.2018
- Navigating Commercial Terms under US LawSeoul, South Korea, 09.26.2017
- Information Sharing and Private Antitrust Class ActionsHsinchu and Taipei, Taiwan, September 21-22, 2017
- Illinois, December 15, 2016
- Antitrust Red Flags, Tyson Foods v. Bouaphakeo, and Enforcing Arbitration Clauses05.11.2016
- Developing Relationships Inside Your Firm or OrganizationABA, Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources, webinar, 02.03.2016
- Antitrust Update01.27.2016
- Identifying and Mitigating Antitrust "Red Flags" in Business TransactionsThe Knowledge Group, webinar, 12.01.2015
- Supreme Court UpdateChicago, Illinois, 09.25.2015
- Class Action Supreme Court UpdateSeoul, South Korea, 07.10.2013
- Recent Developments in DiscoverySeoul, South Korea, 07.10.2013
- Commercial Issues Roundtable: Commercial Contract Provisions01.13.2011
- Electronic Discovery Update: Preservation and Process01.27.2010
- Antitrust Update: The New Administration and Recent Developments in the Law12.15.2009
- Electronically Stored Information: Discovery Under the Federal Rules01.10.2008
- EimerStahl Insights, June 2, 2020
What Clients Say
What Clients Say
- "Ms. Jacobsen is able to reduce complex issues to their essentials. She has exceptional abilities to draft lucid and persuasive pleadings and remains very calm under pressure. She is unfailingly courteous and a pleasure to deal with. She is a valuable resource for in-house corporate counsel."
- "Vanessa is a fantastic litigator and a tremendous writer. She took the lead for us in "bet-the-company" litigation and delivered the results that we desperately needed."
J.D., DePaul University College of Law, 1997
- with honors
- Order of the Coif
- Editor, DePaul Law Review
B.A., Valparaiso University, 1994
- magna cum laude
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Illinois Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin