Vanessa G. Jacobsen is the Managing Partner of Eimer Stahl LLP’s Chicago office and co-chairs the firm’s Antitrust Group. Vanessa has experience in a wide variety of antitrust litigation, investigation, compliance, and counseling matters. She has prosecuted and defended antitrust, competition and unfair trade practice claims, including complaints regarding exclusionary business practices. She also has represented clients in antitrust investigations by the United States Department of Justice. Vanessa has developed and implemented robust compliance programs, including forensic audits, risk assessments, policy drafting, and employee training, covering a wide range of antitrust and competition issues – e.g., price fixing, competitor collaboration and information exchange, market intelligence practices, MSRP and other RPM policies, product allocation, price gauging and Robinson-Patman violations.
Vanessa has been recognized by several prominent publications for antitrust litigation, including Chambers USA, Leading Lawyers, Best Lawyers, and Super Lawyers. She also was named one of Chicago’s Notable Women Lawyers by Crain’s Chicago Business. Vanessa served as a member of Competition Law360’s Editorial Advisory Board and was appointed to serve on the Antitrust Subcommittee of the National Council of Farmer Cooperatives. She also is a member of the Antitrust and Litigation sections and the Business Torts Litigation and Class Action committees of the American Bar Association. Vanessa regularly speaks on the topics of antitrust law, contracts, and data and e-discovery issues.
Pro Music Rights, LLC v. Apple Inc., et al., U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut, No. 3:20-cv-00309: Successfully defended Apple Inc. against antitrust and unfair trade practices lawsuit alleging conspiracy to exclude performance rights organization from market for musical works licensing.
- In re Crop Inputs Antitrust Litig., U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri, MDL No. 2993: Defending antitrust class action alleging conspiracy to block electronic stales platforms from Crop Inputs market.
- In re Interior Molded Doors Antitrust Litigation, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, Nos. 3:18-cv-00718 and 00850: Direct and indirect purchaser class action antitrust lawsuits against manufacturers of interior molded doors.
- Jones v. Micron Technology, Inc., et al., U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, 4:18-cv-02518 (and related cases): Direct and indirect purchaser class action antitrust lawsuits against manufacturers of dynamic random access memory (DRAM).
- Frost v. LG Corporation, et al., U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, 5:16-cv-05206: Class action antitrust lawsuit involving anti-poaching agreement allegations.
- In re Lithium Ion Batteries Antitrust Litigation, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, MDL 2420: Direct and indirect class and direct action antitrust lawsuits against manufacturers of lithium ion battery cells and related products.
- In re Optical Disk Drive Products Antitrust Litigation, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, MDL 2143: Direct and indirect class and direct action antitrust lawsuits against manufacturers of optical disk drives and related products.
- In re Processed Egg Products Antitrust Litigation, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, MDL 2002: Direct and indirect class and direct action antitrust and unfair competition lawsuits relating to the egg industry.
- Kleen Products LLC, et al. v. International Paper Company, et al., U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Case No. 1:10-cv-05711: Class action lawsuit against containerboard manufacturers.
Honors & Recognitions
- Antitrust - Illinois
- “Vanessa Jacobsen frequently acts in a range of complex antitrust lawsuits, often with an international dimension. She represents technology companies, food producers and manufacturers against claims of conspiracy, monopolization and price-fixing. One client says: ‘She is exceptionally bright, but her biggest asset is being able to talk through complicated issues with the business. She has a keen ability to connect with all levels of the organization, from new hires to the senior executives.'"
- Litigation - Antitrust
- Antitrust Law
- Commercial Litigation
- 500 Leading Litigators in America
- Antitrust Litigation
International Advisory Experts
- 2022 Antitrust Law Award – Illinois
- Chicago's Notable Women Lawyers 2018
- AV® Preeminent™
- October 12, 2022
- Eimer Stahl—Recognized by Chambers for Two Decades—Earns High Rankings for Antitrust, Commercial Litigation, Energy PracticesJune 3, 2022
- April 2022
- March 17, 2021
- Best Lawyers Recognizes Vanessa Jacobsen in Litigaton - Antitrust CategoryAugust 20, 2018
- July 31, 2018
- Vanessa Jacobsen quoted in Law360 article, “Walgreens Gets Creative to Overhaul Troubled Rite Aid Bid”June 29, 2017
- Leading Lawyers, 2014 & 2015
- Law360, March 10, 2015
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Lawyers, 2014
- Illinois Supreme Court Press Release, June 8, 2011
- You Have Been Threatened with a Product Defect Case, Now What?Seoul, South Korea, September 2022
- Big Tech & Beyond: Antitrust in the Biden EraJune 10, 2021
- Effective Legal Writing and Recent Supreme Court DecisionsSeoul, South Korea, October 4, 2018
- Preparing Witnesses for DepositionSeoul, South Korea, October 4, 2018
- U.S. Data Preservation IssuesApril 17, 2018
- Navigating Commercial Terms under US LawSeoul, South Korea, September 26, 2017
- Information Sharing and Private Antitrust Class ActionsHsinchu and Taipei, Taiwan, September 21-22, 2017
- Illinois, December 15, 2016
- Antitrust Red Flags, Tyson Foods v. Bouaphakeo, and Enforcing Arbitration ClausesMay 11, 2016
- Developing Relationships Inside Your Firm or OrganizationABA, Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources, webinar, February 3, 2016
- Antitrust Update01.27.2016
- Identifying and Mitigating Antitrust "Red Flags" in Business TransactionsThe Knowledge Group, webinar, December 1, 2015
- Supreme Court UpdateChicago, Illinois, 09.25.2015
- Recent Developments in DiscoverySeoul, South Korea, 07.10.2013
- Class Action Supreme Court UpdateSeoul, South Korea, 07.10.2013
- Commercial Issues Roundtable: Commercial Contract Provisions01.13.2011
- Electronic Discovery Update: Preservation and Process01.27.2010
- Antitrust Update: The New Administration and Recent Developments in the Law12.15.2009
- Electronically Stored Information: Discovery Under the Federal Rules01.10.2008
What Clients Say
What Clients Say
- "Ms. Jacobsen is able to reduce complex issues to their essentials. She has exceptional abilities to draft lucid and persuasive pleadings and remains very calm under pressure. She is unfailingly courteous and a pleasure to deal with. She is a valuable resource for in-house corporate counsel."
- "Vanessa is a fantastic litigator and a tremendous writer. She took the lead for us in "bet-the-company" litigation and delivered the results that we desperately needed."
J.D., DePaul University College of Law, 1997
- with honors
- Order of the Coif
- Editor, DePaul Law Review
B.A., Valparaiso University, 1994
- magna cum laude
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Illinois Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin