Reflecting the complexity and diversity of the industries, technologies, and clients comprising the energy sector, Eimer Stahl’s Energy practice provides counsel to a variety of clients within the rapidly evolving electric, natural gas and telecommunications sectors.
Drawing from the synergies between its legislative and regulatory counseling expertise and litigation experience before public utilities commissions and courts, Eimer Stahl is uniquely positioned to offer clients a holistic approach for addressing the sorts of sophisticated and complex issues facing regulated industries. Beginning with the development and introduction of new concepts and legislation, Eimer Stahl works with clients to analyze and shape emerging policy and regulations. Following their enactment, Eimer Stahl continues to support clients during any subsequent implementation and litigation needs that may arise in compliance with new and existing laws and regulations.
And, while the issues may be complicated, Eimer Stahl has built its reputation on distilling complex issues down into concise, understandable concepts for a variety of audiences, including legislators, public utilities commissions, judges, juries, and industry stakeholders.
Members of Eimer Stahl’s Energy practice regularly appear before public utilities commissions and trial and appellate courts regarding numerous issues impacting regulated clients. Reflecting the constantly changing landscape of regulation, many of these issues involve new policies or issues of first impression. Because the Energy practice fits squarely within Eimer Stahl’s national litigation practice, it is uniquely suited to handling regulatory, trial and appellate litigation in whatever forum it arises.
In addition to energy-related litigation, clients routinely engage Eimer Stahl for its expertise in analyzing complex legislative proposals, as well as for its sharp analysis and creative solutions to novel issues impacting energy and telecommunications clients.
Eimer Stahl’s Energy practice has been regularly recognized by Chambers USA, U.S. News & World Report, and Leading Lawyers.
Chambers & Partners
- Top-ranked by Chambers USA since 2003, the firm’s Energy practice and practitioners have received consistent praise.
- David Stahl is widely admired by his peers, and described as "an outstanding litigator" (2015) and "a brilliant regulatory lawyer . . . absolutely terrific" (2014). His practice is broad and includes advising utility companies on a variety of matters, including nuclear licensing and antitrust. David has been recognized as a Senior Statesmen since 2018, being praised as, "a very sharp, well-respected lawyer in Chicago."
- Ronit Barrett has been recognized in Band 3 for Energy & Natural Resources: Regulatory since 2018. "She's extremely professional and has a real gift as an advocate."
- Eimer Stahl is "Highly regarded by the market for its litigation offering. Praised by clients for its regulatory focus." "They are fabulous, as responsive as you can be - you get what you want, when you want it." 2014)
- "Outstanding firm renowned for its work in energy and natural resources." (2016) Eimer Stahl is "top-notch. They are very professional, very thorough and responsive." (2017)
- "This team continues to attract the respect of market commentators for its strength in representing a range of market participants in the energy sector on litigation, regulatory and restructuring matters." (2013)
- ". . . the firm has gained ‘high opinions’ for its agile, more collegial approach to legal counseling." (2014)
- "The team has established an impressive place in Illinois’ electric market." (2012)
U.S. News & World Report - Best Lawyers
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" gives high marks to Eimer Stahl’s Energy Law group. In 2013 and 2018, it named firm co-founder David Stahl Chicago’s Energy Law Lawyer of the Year.
- Ronit Barrett has been recognized as a Best Lawyer for Energy Regulatory Law since the 2018 edition.
- David Stahl has been named an Illinois Leading Lawyer in both Energy and Public Utilities by Leading Lawyers. He was also recognized in the Top 10 Leading Lawyers for Energy in 2017.