Susan M. Razzano is a partner at Eimer Stahl. Sue has extensive experience in complex civil litigation, including class action and multidistrict litigation defense work. Her practice focuses on product liability, consumer fraud litigation, antitrust, and commercial litigation, including settling and administering class action lawsuits. Sue has been recognized as an Emerging Lawyer by Leading Lawyers.
Prior to joining Eimer Stahl LLP in 2011, Sue was an Associate at Sidley Austin LLP where she had worked since graduating law school in 2006.
- MTBE Litigation – Represent CITGO Petroleum Corp. in three lawsuits filed by the states of Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, and Maryland concerning alleged contamination of groundwater by a gasoline blending agent know as MTBE.
- In re Rail Freight Fuel Surcharge Antitrust Litigation (MDL II) – Represent International Paper Company in antitrust litigation against four major railroad carriers to recover overpayments due to a price-fixing conspiracy.
- 303 Tractor Hydraulic Fluid Litigation – Represent CITGO Petroleum Corp. in class action lawsuits filed in Missouri, Iowa, Kansas, and Illinois alleging deceptive marketing of a tractor hydraulic fluid product.
- Palmucci v. Twitter, Inc., et al. – Served as Chicago counsel for a social network in an action brought pursuant to the Antiterrorism Act alleging that major technology companies provide material support to terrorist groups which enabled them to carry out the November 2015 attack in Paris.
- People of the State of Illinois, ex rel. Kimberly M. Foxx v. Facebook, Inc., et al. – Served as Chicago counsel for Facebook in an action brought on behalf of the People of the State of Illinois pursuant to state consumer protection statutes alleging that Facebook allowed Cambridge Analytica to collect the personal data of Facebook users.
- Grissom v. Werholtz, et al. – Represented pro bono client in appeal of orders dismissing his Eighth and Fourteenth Amendment claims. The appeal challenged Grissom’s 20-plus-year term of solitary confinement as cruel and unusual punishment and as running afoul of his procedural due process rights.
- Kleen Products Antitrust Litigation – Represented International Paper Company in a class action litigation pending in the Northern District of Illinois in which Plaintiffs allege that the Defendants, manufacturers of containerboard which is used to make cardboard boxes, conspired to restrict the supply of containerboard in order to increase the price of containerboard.
- Liebler v. LG Electronics U.S.A., Inc. – Represented LG Electronics in a class action litigation filed in the District of New Jersey in which Plaintiffs alleged failure to disclose the amount of internal memory available in certain mobile phones and the usability of external storage and asserted various consumer fraud claims. The matter was resolved after successful Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 12(b)(6) motion practice.
- Clark v. LG Electronics U.S.A, Inc. – Represented LG Electronics in a class action litigation removed to federal court in the Northern District of California in which Plaintiffs alleged defective design of a refrigerator and asserted various consumer fraud claims. Claims were limited through a motion to dismiss which enabled a favorable settlement agreement. A settlement class was certified and settlement administration was completed.
- Koertge v. LG Electronics U.S.A., Inc. – Represented LG Electronics in a class action litigation filed in the District of New Jersey in which Plaintiffs alleged defective design of a home theater system and asserted various consumer fraud claims. A settlement was negotiated prior to any responsive pleadings; the settlement class was certified and settlement administration was completed.
- New Hampshire v. Hess, et al. – Represented CITGO Petroleum Corp. in a multi-billion dollar litigation tried in New Hampshire state court. The State of New Hampshire alleged that an additive used in gasoline is defective and causes groundwater contamination.
- Temperature Adjusted Fuel Litigation – Represented CITGO in a class action litigation pending in federal court. Plaintiffs alleged deceptive and misleading practices and conspiracy to further the same in the sale of motor fuel to consumers.
- Omniscan Litigation – Represented GE Healthcare in a multidistrict litigation involving over a hundred personal injury cases filed in state and federal courts around the country. Plaintiffs alleged negligence, strict liability, defective design, failure to warn, and breach of warranty.
- Seroquel Litigation – Represented AstraZeneca in a multidistrict litigation involving several hundred personal injury cases filed in state and federal courts nationwide. Plaintiffs alleged negligence, strict liability, defective design, failure to warn, and breach of warranty.
- Baycol Litigation – Represented Bayer in a multidistrict litigation consolidating hundreds of personal injury cases filed in both state and federal courts around the country. Plaintiffs alleged negligence, strict liability, defective design, failure to warn, and breach of warranty.
Honors & Recognitions
Listed by Leading Lawyer as an Emerging Lawyer in Class Action/Mass Tort Defense in 2015.
Vice President of Operations, Chicago Legal Clinic
- Sue Razzano quoted in Cook County Record article, "Attorney: Class Action Over Junior Mints Slack-Fill Latest Example of ‘Easy Target’ for Plaintiffs’ Bar"04.2018
- Sue Razzano quoted in Law.com article, "Critical Mass: Is This the Cy Pres Case SCOTUS Is Looking For? Plus: Why Intel Doesn't Want an MDL in California"02.20.2018
- Sue Razzano quoted in TechTarget article, "LinkedIn Case Raises Employee Privacy Concerns"10.31.2017
- U.S. Supreme Court 2018-2019: What Does the New Court Mean for Business (and You)?Chicago, IL, 11.30.2018
- N.D. ILL. Mandatory Initial Discovery Pilot ProgramIllinois, 11.13.2017
- Product Liability, Consumer Fraud, and Product LabelingIllinois, 09.2017
- Enforcing Arbitration ClausesSeoul, South Korea, 05.2016
- Antitrust Red Flags, Tyson Foods v. Bouaphakeo, and Enforcing Arbitration Clauses05.11.2016
- The General Mills Arbitration Clause Flop: Implications for Using and Drafting Consumer Arbitration Clauses, American Bar AssociationAmerican Bar Association, 02.29.2016
- Class Action Settlements: Recent Trends and Key Considerations for Obtaining Approval and Avoiding ObjectionsSeoul, South Korea, 07.10.2014
J.D., Northwestern University School of Law, 2006
- cum laude
- Executive Articles Editor on the Northwestern University Law Review
Skidmore College, undergraduate degree,1997
- cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Illinois Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit