John Adams is a stakeholder in the firm’s Chicago and Madison offices. He focuses his practice on appellate and complex litigation in a variety of areas, including antitrust, constitutional law, and civil and commercial litigation. He also has substantial experience with government investigations. During his time in practice, he has argued critical motions and briefs at the appellate and trial courts; examined expert and fact witnesses; executed depositions; negotiated with the government on settlements and subpoenas; and drafted briefs at every stage of litigation from pleadings at trial courts to briefs at supreme courts.
Prior to joining Eimer Stahl, John worked as an associate in the appellate and white collar groups of an AmLaw 10 firm. He also served as a law clerk to the Honorable Amy Coney Barrett in the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. Before his legal career, John, a decorated combat veteran, served as an infantry officer in the United States Marine Corps.
John has been recognized for his commercial litigation experience in the Best Lawyers “Ones to Watch” ranking, and he was also named an Illinois Rising Star by Super Lawyers. He has further been hand selected to sit on two national boards of “emerging leaders.”
- Tandon v. Newsom (SCOTUS; 9th Cir.; N.D. Cal.) – Obtained injunction from the U.S. Supreme Court upholding individuals’ constitutional rights under the First Amendment.
- In re Interior Molded Doors Antitrust Litigation (E.D. Va.) – Defended Masonite Corporation in actions alleging price-fixing in the market for interior molded doors.
- COVID-19-Related Business Interruption Litigation (Illinois state and federal courts) – Secured dismissal of numerous class-action lawsuits filed against CNA and its affiliates alleging that insurers breached their insurance policies by failing to pay for lost business income incurred due to COVID-19 induced closure orders.
- Confidential Arbitration (International Chamber of Commerce) – Trial counsel to Fortune 100 company in handful of breach of contract disputes against a major business partner.
- Wisconsin Legislature v. Palm (Wis. Sup. Ct.) – Represented Wisconsin Legislature in successful original action seeking invalidation of an agency lockdown order.
- Wisconsin Legislature v. Evers (Wis. Sup. Ct.) – Represented Wisconsin Legislature in successful original action seeking invalidation of an executive order purporting to cancel a statutorily required statewide election.
- County of Dane v. Public Service Commission of Wisconsin (Wis. Sup. Ct.; Wis. App. Ct.) – Represented individual in successfully staying a subpoena to produce things and testify at trial.
- People v. Branch (Ill. Cir. Ct.) – Trial counsel to individual who is accused of first-degree murder.
- Reeves v. Commissioner, Alabama Dep’t of Corrections (11th Cir.) – Obtained habeas relief for client in death penalty case.
- Counseled middle market information-technology company on breach of contract issues.
- Counseled investors on claims for fraud and fiduciary breaches in securities cases.
- Represented amici in federal courts on myriad legal topics, including criminal law, constitutional law, and statutory interpretation.
Honors & Recognitions
Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, 2021-2024
Super Lawyers: Illinois Rising Stars, 2024
- August 17, 2023
- Best Lawyers Recognizes Eimer Stahl Attorneys in 2023 The Best Lawyers in America® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America™August 18, 2022
- Stakeholder John Adams Writes in Newsweek About His Experience Clerking for Supreme Court Nominee Amy Coney BarrettOctober 14, 2020
- October 2, 2020
- EimerStahl Insights, January 2024
- What In-House Lawyers Need to Know About the Federal Trade Commission’s Current Initiatives, Ranging from Merger Enforcement Practices to Artificial IntelligenceEimerStahl Insights, May 2023
- The Legal Challenges Ahead and the Practical Steps Employers Might Consider in Light of the Federal Trade Commission’s Proposal to Ban Non-CompetesEimerStahl Insights, January 2023
- EimerStahl Insights, June 2, 2020
J.D., Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, with honors
- Articles Editor, Northwestern University Law Review
M.B.A., Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management
B.S., University of Dayton, with honors
- Amy Coney Barrett, U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit (2017 - 2018)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin